Thursday, December 21, 2017

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

As I start to write this, I literally just finished Wonder. I haven't fully decompressed from it. My first initial thought: Wow. My second: Why am I just reading this now? I don't think I'm alone in loving this book. I laughed. I cried. I got angry. I cried again. I laughed some more. This book is one that will stay with me for a while. The only complaint I have about it is in Justin's part; the complete lack of punctuation messed with me. I really love the message of kindness throughout the book. It is such a powerful theme and really resonates throughout the story. I also like how the narrator bounces between characters. It allows the reader to really get to know the character during their point of view chapters.
Considering the standards, this piece can be used in several ways. You can have students work with information text on the causes and effects of Treacher Collins Syndrome (the genetic condition that affects Auggie). Amy Tan's short story "Fish Cheeks" about a young girl who is embarrassed by her family can help students better understand Via's characters. Students could also look at informational text and research herd behavior; the psychological behaviors of how people act in groups. Students could also pair this with other fiction books that deal with bullying or make connections with their own experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment